On 30-Aug-07, at 10:57 AM, Guy Hulbert wrote:

Nope. I reject this. The design ASSUMES that the clock has "sufficient
resolution".  It is the implementation which chooses Time::HiRes.

Fine, so on Alpha, you have a qpsmtpd installation that is using async and doing more than 1000 mails/second? And given that it has rand(10000) in there, you also need a rand() collision in that millisecond. You're reaching for a problem.

On "normal" platforms the minimum granularity is on the order of 1 billion mails/sec. Let me know when you're building the single CPU system that can do that, I'd like to buy one.

Note that mod_unique_id is only designed for 64k hits/sec.

Matt.