On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 3:27 PM, Matt Sergeant <m...@sergeant.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 28 May 2009, David Nicol wrote:
>
>> On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 9:18 AM, David Favor <da...@davidfavor.com> wrote:
>>
>> I wrote a plugin to create VERP variable envelope return path
>> addresses for each and every message passing through my forwarding
>> system

> This is essentially BATV.
>
> However beware that BATV does break some things:
>
> - It will drop your outbound mails to ezmlm mailing lists into the
> moderation queue (unless you have some sort of "don't VERP mails to these
> addresses" function and remember all your mailing lists).
>
> - It will "break" some remote whitelisting systems which look at the MAIL
> FROM to determine if your mail is in the whitelist.
>
> - It will cause some greylisting systems to greylist every email you send.
>
> Also, for BATV you need to make sure you have FULL and UTTER control of all
> your outbounds.
>
> If you're willing to live with these issues then BATV works great.
>
> Matt.

it's a forwarding system; authenticated relay traffic is exempt;
verping allows the relays pass SPF checks without revealing original
envelope sender, the system is intended to /be/ the whitelisting
system rather than being ahead of one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bounce_Address_Tag_Validation

the difference is, instead of encoding the user-part with a signature,
i provide completely random user-part and store in a database what
each one implies.  Which may not scale, but there's no worry about
cryptoanalysis.

--
between myriad opposing forces