"Fashion" is the issue. Just because somebody made something fashionable does not mean it is correct or easy to use. The younger generation have never had it easier because they have only known to just tap/click everywhere until something happens. Let's introduce them to how things are supposed to work. Go against fashion and with ease of use. We can cite UI design rule after rule where those rules in the past were based on meticulous human-computer interaction research. The new generation of UI/UX designers seemed to have just tossed out all that research for no good reason.

Example: Information density in icons. We now have access to "retina" class displays capable of displaying a LOT of information in an icon. Icon designers have been waiting 30 years for this to occur. And what happens? All the fashionable designs use an "outline" icon. Really? Those designers make the user work harder to attain the same information that a properly designed icon could store.

Basic Color use: Why does everything have to be the same color? (I am looking at you Apple and your monochrome Finder). Some where after OS X 10.6.8 Apple decided that actually having nicely colored icons in the Finder was somehow "bad" so now every folder is the same shade of blue. That makes it really hard for users to distinguish between the "Downloads", "Home", "Pictures" or some other important folder that we pinned to the side of the Finder.

Postbox (An Email Application) recently released a newer version. They used outline icons and low contrast typography all over the UI. There is even a point where I have a white outlined folder on a nearly white background. This just should NOT happen.

Moral of the story. Don't be fashionable. Be correct. Be easy. Back up your designs with actual user research.

--
Mike Jackson  [mike.jack...@bluequartz.net]

Ariel Molina wrote:
Thing is that what's "easy" is hard to define, it tends to come and go
as fashion goes. For example, current trend (from several years now) is
that youngsters find "flat" easy and skeumorphic ugly simply because
they are used to see things like that. So the UI team have to balance
three things: ease for hardcore veterans, be appealing and "modern" for
the new wave, and being easy to use. So they try hard, and I wish them
the best.