Hi,

> I would like to stick with the concept of visual studio here. They are
> basically adding a new editor between the  current cursor line and the line
> after. This would result in scrolling the content after your cursor down the
> size of the new editor.

Visual Studio hast wo feature that are similar to this idea:

1.     It has a Code Definition Window (in QtCreator this could be in the pane
with Issues …)

If this window is visible and the cursor in the editor windows is on any item
that has a definition, that definition is shown in the Code Definition Window.

2.     The Text Editor has an option (in Options/Text Editor/General) to
“Enable mouse click to perform Go to Definition with a selectable modifier key
(Ctrl, Alt or Ctrl+Alt)  and a sub-option to “Open definition in peek view”.
This is the new editor you described. The peek view can be close or promoted to
a full editor window. If the definition is in the same file the editor is
position to the definition (and the defining token highlighted).

Greetings

Helmut