I've got an odd hang with QtCreator when debugging my software.

I've got the following function where I'm trying to copy the data out of a
QTableView to the clipboard in a format that will allow the resulting data to
be pasted directly into an Excel spreadsheet. Here's the function:
void plotContainerWidget::slotCopyTableToClipboard()
{
    // select everything in table copy it to text string with
    // '\t' separating columns and '\n' separating rows
    if(mModel == 0)
    {
        return;
    }

    int rows = mModel->rowCount();
    int cols = mModel->columnCount();

    QString tableString;
    for(int i=0; i < cols; ++i)
    {
        tableString += mModel->headerData(i, Qt::Horizontal).toString();
        tableString += "\t";
    }
    tableString.chop(1); // remove extraneous tab
    tableString += "\n";

    for(int i=0; i < rows; ++i)
    {
        for(int j=0; j < cols; ++j)
        {
            tableString += mModel->data(mModel->index(i, j),
Qt::DisplayRole).toString();
            tableString += "\t";
        }
        tableString.chop(1); // remove extraneous tab
        tableString += "\n";
    }
    tableString.chop(1); // remove extraneous newline
    qDebug() << tableString;
    QClipboard* clippy = QApplication::clipboard();
    if (!clippy)
    {
        return;
    }
    clippy->setText(tableString); // *** QT CREATOR HANGS HERE ***
    qDebug() << "copied table to clipboard";
}

When I execute this chunk of code within the debugger, it hangs at that
QClipboard::setText() line. I first encountered it executing my code within the
debugger, but without any breakpoints set. During that session, Qt Creator
hung, and I had to force quit. After re-launching QtCreator, I set a breakpoint
in this function and stepped through my code. The parsing is fine up until that
line, the string looks good, but then Qt Creator hangs when that line setText()
is executed. So this issue seems to happen whether I have any breakpoints set
or not and interestingly this code does NOT hang when I choose "Run" from
within Qt Creator, only when I choose "Start Debugging", even though that
should still be executing the debug build of my application, just not running
inside the debugger.

Qt version 5.3.2 (yes, I know this is ancient...)
Qt Creator 4.5.2 (at least this isn't!)
Windows 7 64-bit

Any ideas?
Sean