On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 7:16 AM Tomasz Siekierda <sierd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Sep 2018 at 20:52, Szyk Cech <szykc...@spoko.pl> wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > I want introduce big improvement (at least in my humble opinion) to Qt
> > Creator.
> >
> > My idea is very simple and very strong logical/rational/sensible and Qt
> > projects oriented (but not limited to Qt projects).
> >
> > I don't pretend to be renter of this idea, but if you use/follow this
> > idea, then I suppose you mention this concept as "Szyk Cech's project
> > menu style".
> >
> > So lets sum up typical Qt project:
> >
> > * plenty cpp, h, ui and qml files - typically related to each others and
> > names only differ with extensions (eg. MainWindow.h, MainWindow.cpp,
> > MainWindow.ui)
> >
> > * few cpp and h files typically differs only with extensions (Factory.h,
> > Factory.cpp)
> >
> > * main.cpp
> >
> > Now we have big Qt project tree which is pretty unusable for bigger
> > projects (like Qt Creator). But we can improve this greatly!
> >
> > We can use full advantage of QTreeView widget and display all 3 (or 4)
> > Qt files in 1 row!!!
> >
> > I recognize following use cases:
> >
> > 1. We have Qt widget file (eg. MainWindow.h, MainWindow.cpp,
> > MainWindow.ui), so we display in first column only file name without
> > extension, and in next 3 columns h, cpp, ui . Then when we have direct
> > access for every files related to our ui file (h and cpp) - without
> > stupid clicking headers or sources (in order to unroll them) and without
> > annoying scrolling!!!
>
> I'd rather keep the project tree as thin as possible and leave more
> space for code editor views. So I'd rather suggest making base file
> name an expandable item with 3-4 children (concrete files .cpp, h.
> etc.).
>
> Also, there is a big problem here: Qt Creator would have to assume
> (or, even worse for performance - check) that someString.h and
> someString.cpp are related. What if they are not?
>
> And what if there are multiple files with the same name?
>
> And lastly, what if there are multiple implementations for a single
> header? (class.h, classWin.cpp, classMac.cpp etc.)
>
> By the way, in most cases scrolling is not necessary - just hit F4 to
> switch between header and source files. And if that fails, there is
> also the Locator which allows you to open relevant files quickly.
>
> > 2. if additionally to 1.  we have qml file with the same name as h, cpp,
> > ui - display it in 4. column
> >
> > 3. If we have only h and cpp (or c) file: display name in first column
> > and h and cpp in next 2.
> >
> > 4. If project does not contain Qml files or not contain Ui files, then
> > QTreeView should not display Qml or Ui columns accordingly (only h and cpp).
> >
> > 5. If project is pure c project then c extension should display in Cpp
> > column.
> >
> > 6. Any other files names are displayed traditionally in first column.
> >
> > You can see my mock interface in attached png file.

> [...]

I think this is a very good idea. One thing about Qt Creator is it is
a bit frustrating to work with the Project file tree, and combining
the ones with the same name could be a good improvement.

That said, I am not sure about the proposed solution/presentation
(yet) since I agree with what Tomas is saying.

I do normally use the locator, but sometimes one needs to work with
the tree then It gets annoying.

We use a lot of libraries and folders and for that the simplified view
is too simplified and the normal is too cluttered.
I would prefer if it keeps the folder structures but remove the
Headers, Sources, Forms, etc. and collapse that in an intuitive way.