I know that probably I should update eventually: my QtCreator is version 4.9.0
- and maybe the issue will go away!? However it is hard to tell immediately
because it happens only sporadically, so I could not reproduce it on purpose.
And right now it just happened again, so I am taking the opportunity. Anyway, I
work with CMake, and my guess is that it happens only with this combination.
(By the way, I am working with CMake version 3.14.0, Windows 10 64-bit,
MSVC2015 and Qt 5.11.2).

For myself I call this phenomenon "the QtCreator is getting tired". Meaning: it
needs a break.

Typically it happens during a phase of many changes in a project setup. Like
the project is complex, but not even once run through a successful build, so I
have to change dependencies here, add another CMakeLists.txt there, and other
such changes that may affect the whole or parts of the setup. And if I have
done this a few times, and then I try another build, I only get the following
message:

"Configuration is faulty. Check the Issues view for details."

And in the issues view I am getting this:

"A CMake tool must be set up for building. Configure a CMake tool in the kit
options."

Ok, this is all nonsense, because I have such a tool configured for long, so it
is useless to even try following this advice. But I know this for a long time
already: "the QtCreator is tired and needs a break."

So I simply close it. And after a few seconds I start it again. (Right, it
recovers really quickly!) And after going back to my project, everything is
fine again! No missing CMake configuration or whatever - which was obviously
already not true in the first place.

Right now I am only reporting this because it is a bit "ugly", and long ago
when it first happened it really worried me indeed - and I tried to fix some
configuration problems that do not exist. Now I know the thing, and I simply
restart QtCreator - and everything is fine again!

Best regards,
Cornelis