On Thursday 22 September 2011 08:18:49 Frans Klaver wrote:
[...]
> I'm still not convinced that the trade-off is worth your while, but you
> obviously think it is. There's downsides and upsides to both approaches.

Compile-time check is one thing, but there is also other advantage of the new
code.

I am putting some advantages here:

 - You get automatic conversions of the arguments (eg. QString->QVariant or
int->double, ...)
 - Old syntax has issues with namespaces and typedefs.
 - You get all the power of connecting using tr1::bind, or to a C++11 lambda
expression.

So yes, there are some tradeoffs, like having the signals public.

How often did you compile your code, and had the error "mySignal is protected"
which was because you called a signal on another object by mistake?
And How often did you actually have valid reason to emit the signal but had to
use a workaround with one level of indirection?