On Sun, 9 Oct 2011 08:42:20 PM you wrote:
> It comes with a lot of tricky methods for something that was very simple
> before. And on top of the complexity there are some restrictions that I can
> foresee already:
> - Multi platform capability isn't as simple anymore: The inclusion of QML
> components for different platforms make that the source code needs to be
> changing to compile for MeeGo, Symbian, Linux, Windows or Mac platform every
> single time. The current Qt4 is as simple as changing the target in QtCreator
> and the application is compiled to the next OS without absolutely any change
> in your code.
>
> Are you saying that you usually deploy your C++ Qt desktop applications on
> mobile phones with no changes to the source code? And that you care about
> native look and feel? No ifdefs? Did you actually use the same .ui files? Qt
> never performed that magic and will not in the future. As for the desktop
> components. They will work and look just as native across the Mac, Windows
> and Linux desktop platforms. You can even use them on Symbian and Meego if
> you like. But combo box, group box, toolbars and tab widgets simply make no
> sense in that environment. If you are not willing to make any platform
> specific changes to your UI, you simply don't care about look and feel.

> - Some of the UI in my case are created dynamically either at compile time or
> at runtime. The former depending on the target platform and the latter
> depending on the device screen resolution. I don't see this possibility with
> QML.
>
> Why is that? The fact that the UI is declarative in nature does not mean that
> it is static or that you have to declare everything beforehand. That is a
> misconception. It is far easier to change the UI dynamically than it ever was
> with QWidget and .ui files.  Qt Quick  is actually designed precicely to
> target multiple resolutions. Did you have a specific use case in mind?

The same code means just that, the same set of .cpp, .h and .ui files. No need
to link to different libraries or make changes in my .pro. I have to use
#ifdefs in the code to make the difference, but it is not a problem.
I'm not expert in QML and I may be wrong in some comments, but instead of
fighting back it would be more proactive to be guided to real examples for
instance clarifying my doubts and possibly enforcing your point.
As mentioned in my last email and to conclude this thread, I'm giving a real
try to QML to develop a small and simple application using pure C++ so let's
see how it works.