Sharon,
  IF you are looking for day-trips in Maryland I'd like to suggest the Catoctin Mtns park -> Catoctin Mountain Park (National Park Service)   Close by there is also Cunningham St Park with the falls area ->CUNNINGHAM FALLS STATE PARK, MD PHOTOS    And not far away ( less than 15 min by car )
is the ->Catoctin Wildlife Preserve and Zoo - Welcome!  If you are out for the day you might also wish to see ->grotto

Then of course there is always Gettysburg, PA that is not too far within 60-90 min drive.  All the places listed above are pretty well accessible and all have picnic areas.  If you would rather dine in at a restraunt there are several in Thurmont, MD,( Mountain Gate, and Cozy) to name two.

There are so many places to take day trips to in MD, I was born and raised in Carroll County and there alone is a ton of things to do.  There is also a little known place called -> Lilypons Water Gardens-the source for water gardening,ponds,lilies,bog plants,  its a nice place to drop in and see also.
Hope some of these places catch your fancy.  They are geared toward family time, and most are either free or inexpensive.  IF you are interested and want more info feel free to drop me an email.

Penny