I have a friend here in ohio that has been a quad for about 14years. He is one of those that got a generous legal settlement. He is also very frugal when it comes to vans. He bought a 4year old Custom raised roof van that a mechanic checked out as in perfect shape. He got it for $14,000. He then had a braun lift installed and universal tie downs and a belt to restrict him in case of an accident. Altogether it was under 19 grand and it. He paid almost the same amount for his chair.
The nice thing about vans is they loose value on the market very fast in the first few years. This makes it easy to find good deals on vans a few years old. Most states have programs to assist you in altering transportation to be used for him.
Many states will help much faster if he decides to goto college. Often they pay the entire bill since public transportation for handicapped is usually just a political money toss and so few ever live up to the stickers that they have stating they are accesible.

good luck
john