I get a UTI about once or twice a year. As long as we deal with catheters we
will get UTI's. I use a condom catheter but I still have to check the residual
in my bladder every month to six weeks. Often I have an infection that would be
critical to normal folks. I think most of us build up a tolerance to UTI's
untill they are pretty bad. You have to calculate a balance between a tolerance
to bugs and becoming immune to anti biotics.
I'm open to listening to anyone's news on the subject. I heard there was work
on a vaccine for certain UTI's. That was years ago and frankly, I haven't been
to see my uro in about 5 years. I just keep anti biotics (cipro & bactrim DS)
on hand. I have a perpetual refill with his DA. I'd call him if I couldn't
clear it up.
Sometimes I do wonder if I'm septic but since I can't be sure without testing,
I won't know when I'm in end stage and with any luck, I won't know I should
have died.
I always seem to be pretty good untill they say I'm in an awful state and
should have died yesterday. I think some people die just because they are told
they are going to. I've been told I'm circling the drain since the day I was
run over. Maybe I'm too stubborn to stop breathing(or too stupid). But I
digress.
I think a good doctor would try to keep your infection at a mild roar and hope
you build a tolerance to the infection before you build an immunity to the
treatments available.

john
C-5 31 years post