From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: quad-list@eskimo.com
Sent: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 10:57 AM
Subject: [QUAD-L] parking issue w/ local PD

here's the scenario:

it's a cold winter day in maine -- snow on the ground. i have a hair
appointment about 20 miles from my home in a small city. the salon is located
on main street which has ONE handicap parking space for a large downtown area.
when i arrive, this spot is taken and i have my PCA drive around to search the
area for another -- unsuccesful. after a few circles around the main street
loop i am almost late for my appt so i tell her to just "invent a space" at the
end of the diagonal parking row b/c i need space on the passenger side to get
my bruno seat in and out. there was snow on the ground which covered the lines.
if i had not been familiar with the area i wouldn't have known any different. i
figured it was worth the risk of getting ticketed b/c i would have a strong
argument as to why i violated the parking laws. as luck would have it, i did
get a ticket which i refuse to pay (it's only $20 but it's the principle). so
now i have a court date and need to come up with some stron!
 g arguments. some other factoids to consider: even in the summer this downtown
area is difficult to navigate in a manual chair -- there are brick sidewalks
that need repair and the curb cuts are a joke after the abuse from many
winters, there is no way i could get around this area without help in the
winter especially with improper snow removal. also, i am not sure what the
ratio for handicap spaces to regular spaces is, but it doesn't seem like this
meets code. does anyone know that ratio? i wanna say 1/25 or around that. the
one space that is there is on a severe slope which makes the transfer outside
of the vehicle tricky. are accessible spaces supposed to be level?

so basically i need some ammo and strong arguments so i can get my point across
to an unsympathetic police dept. any suggestions on things to say to make them
see it from my (and our) point of view? parking is such a struggle -- a battle
we are always fighting -- and i'm fed up!

=jessica

AOL at AOL.com.