    From: Lori Michaelson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2008 6:31 PM
To: Silas Shelburne; quad-list@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: [QUAD-L] Neck!

    Like Billy ... I have something very similar to what you describe.  It
began in 1997 at the lower part of my neck. Pain but no numbness.  The muscles
in my neck have always been very strong since my injury in 1979/1980 because I
have to use them to help hold me up, etc..

    My neck was fused from C2-C7 ... I guess the surgeon at the time really,
really, really wanted to make sure that my neck was stable!  It sure is -- but
NOW at an expense.  My husband teases me that my neck bone is connected to my
butt bone!  LOL

    All kidding aside because this affects me every day now.  My neck fusion is
what does not allow me to turn my head to the left or the right very far at
all.  This was never a problem for the first 17 years after my injury.  I would
have thought after all of those years of depending upon those muscles (neck,
lower neck, spine and shoulders) that I would have some sort of pain or
problems LONG before 1997 but nope.

    I was then diagnosed in September of 1994 with Syringomyelia and had
surgery.  However, I had none of the pains anywhere until two years after the
surgery!  But the pain is pretty much where my spine is and where the shunt is
located... my lung cavity.  Which is also where the trapezius muscle is that is
aggravated if I overuse it.  So it is like it is all tied in together at my
expense.

    The ONLY thing that had changed in my life was that my EX wanted to split
up and I ended up moving into an assisted living facility.  I was no longer
transferring or moving the way I had been for many years.  ALTHOUGH...
absolutely nothing was hurting me when I was transferring or getting moved.
So, by process of a limitation, and since it started right then... I must
assume that my body was getting moved in a way that my upper neck and spine and
all the areas mentioned above DISLIKED whatever was happening different and
even now I am very careful now until this day... there is no going back.
Things have only worsened.  Although Syringomyelia is a condition that either
stays stable or gets worse.

    Like you... turning my head left or right makes everything much, much
worse!  My MRIs show that everything is OK.  And the last comment that I got
from a doctor seems to sum it up the best.  He said that the shunt is probably
woven through muscles and nerves and is now causing pain.  I will not be going
to have my spine manipulated again by any surgeon.  Every time I have done
that... I have come close to death.

    I have tried just about every narcotic out there as well as relaxation,
tens units, and so much more without relief.  Massaging or even touching area
harder than a light touch ... exacerbates everything for the worse.

    I have had to just learn to deal with it and some days are much better than
others.  But the last three weeks have been terrible.  Whenever I exert myself
I think it causes my spinal fluid to be aggravated by pressure.  I am not even
able to blow my nose because that hurts everything for weeks afterward.

    Foolishly... I was imitating my husband snoring in the middle of the night
about three weeks ago and that is when it began.  That sounds funny I know but
I have been in so much pain SINCE... that it is not funny and will teach me to
NOT try to do something that I know I should not!  Or that will bite me in the
end.

    I just get so damned mad at my body for being so hypersensitive!  It's
beyond the ridiculous end of the spectrum.

    Lori Michaelson

    C4/5 complete quad, 28 years post

    Tucson, AZ