Today, marks three years since I experienced that terrible  pain in my neck
and arm that made me know, that my life would be changed for  ever.  That was
the day,  that I became a quadriplegic due to  Transverse Myelitis.  Three
years ago this day, about this time.  I  was being rushed to the emergency room
in
St. Paul, Minnesota with sudden  paralysis of my arms and legs (I thought).
I later found that I was  paralyzed from the neck down.

This whole ordeal was extremely frightening for me and my  husband, because
we were out of town and not sure how we were going to get back  home.  We were
later flown back in a life flight jet, to the University of  Michigan Hospital
in Ann Arbor Michigan, were I spent a while in intensive care,  on a
ventilator.

I spent three months in the University of Michigan Hospital,  after which I
went to a nursing facility for extended rehab.  After the  rehab.  I went back
into the hospital to have my Baclofen pump put  in.  I received a short period
of rehab after the surgery.

After one year and 23 days, I returned home, where I have been  since.  Being
at home has been a struggle for me because I need 24 hour  care, but cannot
afford to pay someone to be here around the clock.  My  mother has been here
helping me out since I've been home, but she is elderly and  ill herself.  I am
currently checking into assisted living  facilities.  I think this will be the
best move for us all.

I really commend those of you who are able to stay home  alone.  If I just
had use of my hands, it could be a whole different  situation, but my right
side
is completely paralyzed, and I have limited use of  my left arm and hand
(pretty much useless).  I have to contend with all of  the issues that a
quadriplegic faces.  The only thing I haven't had to deal  with, (Praise God!)
are the
pressure sores.  I have not had to deal  with that.

Happy Birthday to all of the July babies!

Naomi

C4-incomplete, quadriplegic since July 2005
due to Transverse  Myelitis

fuel-efficient used cars.