Hi Naomi,

Yes, I am a quad.  I had a C5/6 injury skiing December 2000.  I type using the
knuckle of my right pinky-finger 99% of the time (when writing something long,
I use Dragon, but never have used it for coding).

Don't be scared-off.  I was referring to what most pros use in the industry
today, but the great thing these days is that there are lots of FREE
high-quality tools out there (like GIMP for graphics), FREE editors, FREE
browsers, FREE debugging tools, and FREE website software (e.g., Linux, Apache,
PHP, MySQL).  And there are countless FREE tutorials on the web, too.

Also, you don't have to know everything to get started.  Learn just a little
XHTML and CSS and you can do some things to impress friends, family and
yourself enough to encourage you to learn more.  The nice thing about computer
languages and tools is that when you learn one thing, that serves as a
stepping-stone to the next thing.

What I described is the high-end of the professional market.  Its what most
customers want, too ...but not all can afford.  Everybody needs a website, but
not everybody can pay what the high-end garners, so there's a varied market out
there.  There's money to be made (but don't expect it to be millions).

Regardless of income potential, doing web design is a creative endeavor, a form
of expression, of communicating a message, or whatever.  As such, it has its
own rewards.  It can be intensely frustrating, tedious work, but when you
finish something its a great feeling of accomplishment.  I would definately
recommend it to anyone and everyone  ...but go into it with eyes open and
the knowledge its going to take some real time and serious effort to get really
good at it.

Regards,
bob