A friend of mine was flying from NY, to San Francisco via Southwest--had a
connection in Phoenix, in July.  It was 120 degrees (how do you make the degree
symbol with word on a Mac?)--
so hot that the air was too thin (hot air expands and is thinner--heat made the
air density the same as if it was 12,000 feet)  bottom line--a 737 couldn't
take off in that heat.  All flights were grounded
until the next day when it was a chilly 110 degrees...

Bob V