  From: Dan
  To: quad-list@eskimo.com
  Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 6:15 PM
  Subject: [QUAD-L] Medicare/Wheelchairs

  After 11 years, I'm trying to get a new chair. My DME tells me it costs
$22,000. This is my second chair of the same make and model. They both lasted
11 years. I know the company is changing electronics which is why I'm getting a
new chair or at least trying to.

  I have three insurances. Medicare, Blue Cross Blue Shield, and Medicaid.
Medicare is my primary. They consider this chair a group 4 chair. The most they
will pay for a group 4 chair is $14,000. That leaves me than $8,000 co-pay.
This is crazy! The only option this chair has is a reclining back. Neither Blue
Cross or Medicaid will pay any part of the $8,000.

  Have any of you had this problem? It's apparent that Medicare is paying less
and less as time goes on. Have any of you dropped Medicare and just kept your
private insurance and Medicaid?

  Dan -- who is very frustrated!

  The greatest transgression of war is making heroes of our children.