I have had pretty good luck using Google home and Chromecast (plugged into
an HDMI port of a TV). I can access video playlists. I would like to find a
way to set up my own playlists using my PC and access them via voice. I've
also used this technology to connect Netflix. The search function using
Google home is not as powerful or precise as www.google.com

One big advantage of watching videos using Google Home and Chromecast is
that you can use your voice to pause and rewind videos. after it is set up
(which requires a smart phone or tablet) you don't need a PC or microphone
or headset. You need a Google account, WiFI access, Google Chromecast ($25),
Google Home ($114), access to a TV or monitor with an HDMI port, and someone
to configure it using a tablet or smartphone. One advantage is, since the
video is not running on the computer, it doesn't seem to interfere us much
with running Dragon NaturallySpeaking at the same time.

I had been using an external "shotgun" microphone on a microphone stand,
attached to a very large and heavy duty rolling cart I use as a rolling
computer table for my all in one computer. I was using the computers
speakers, and that worked okay. I did not need to wear a headset, and I was
not connected by any wires to the computer mouse up in the chair, but it was
difficult to watch YouTube videos because the sound from the computer
speakers was picked up by my microphone.

recently my microphone stand broke, and so I have begun using the internal
microphone on my computer. After some retraining with Dragon
NaturallySpeaking, it works pretty well for applications without audio. If I
want to watch YouTube videos on the computer, or go to websites with audio,
or make phone calls using Skype, I can ask someone to plug in and put on an
audio headset. if I am surfing the web, I will often plug in the headset
even though I am not wearing it, so that Dragon does not get confused if I
end up in a website with audio text.

I'm at home, and not a nursing home, and I have my own private TV. If I were
in a nursing home, I would probably buy another microphone stand and attach
it to my rolling table, since this is much easier for aides to understand
and position. The microphone worked best when it was positioned about 1 inch
away from my mouth. You will need a heavy-duty table, a microphone stand, a
set of wired headsets, and a shotgun microphone.

My biggest headache with these various options is voicemail. It is very easy
to use Skype to make phone calls, but I find it very difficult to navigate
voicemail. I think the solution is to set up a Dragon macro which will
initiate a call and then bring up the Skype keypad to navigate voicemail by
voice.

Good luck, and take care,

Dave Krehbiel

C4/5 quad since 8/2007