What happens to the ABLE account after the death of the account owner?click
for more information
When the account owner passes away, the funds in the ABLE account can be
used for any outstanding qualified disability expenses, including funeral
and burial expenses. The ABLE plan can advise you on what is needed such as
a death certificate or whether there is a special form to complete. It is
up to the individual state, whether or not to file a claim for Medicaid
recovery of funds which were paid on behalf of the account owner since the
account was opened. If someone has never received Medicaid, this is not an
issue. If the state pursues a claim, In addition to allowing for the
repayment of outstanding QDEs, including funeral and burial expenses,
Medicaid buy-in premiums paid since opening the ABLE account will be
reimbursed. Thereafter, the remainder of funds are payable to the Estate.
https://www.ablenrc.org/frequently-asked-questions/