Dan Palka writes:

>Well I'll tell you all it was NOT worth the incredible price I paid for all
>of this stuff.
>
>I did not buy it on ebay because I hate ebay.  Instead I bought them from a
>reseller.  This QuadDoubler with warrantee in a Centris 650 board and 128
>megs of RAM cost me about $200.  And the damn thing doesnt even work in the
>Q800.

The Sonnet QuadDoubler was a very clever hack with one significant
drawback: It had to be specifically designed for a single computer. There
was a 40/80 MHz model for the Centris 610, a 50/100 for the Quadra 610,
and a different 50/100 for the Centris 650. Other ones for the Quadra
610, 660av, 700, and 900 have been discontinued.

The clever thing is the way it doubled the normal clock speed and
provided about 80-90% more horsepower. The sad thing is that Motorola
never got the '040 to the point where they could revise the QuadDoubler
for a 33 MHz Quadra 650 or 800 -- let alone the stunningly cool 840av.

Before spending $200 on a computer upgrade, do enough research to make
sure it will work in your computer. Worse yet, you could have bought one
for $99.95 direct from Sonnet....

<http://www.sonnettech.com/product/pricelist.html#qdoubler>

--
Dan Knight, president, Cobweb Publishing, Inc.
 <http://cobwebpublishing.com> <http://lowendmac.com>

I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary
ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong
end of a telescope and that enables you to laugh at life's realities.
  -- Dr. Seuss