the pickle wrote:

>At 18:52 -0800 on 05/01/03, Jim Arnott wrote:
>

>>If it's done incorrectly, the smoke gets out. <LOL>
>>

>Since only data, and not power, is being carried, I don't see why.  Wouldn't
>you just get a lot of collisions?

Evidently you are not technically or electronically inclined.  EXplination:

Nothing moves in a wire with out power, regardless of how much or how
little. Hence, the necessity of the "+" and the "-" requirements of the
pin outs.  Quality equipment will have voltage protection circuits, but
the majority of the stuff on the market now is not Quality.

Even if the voltage, due to data transmission is only 1 volt, if it is a
"+" (positive) 1 volt and you put it to a terminal that is expecting a
"-" (negative) 1 volt, it will smoke, maybe just a little or maybe a
lot.  If it doesn't smoke it could just render a few of the component in
the circuit inoperative by shorting out.  Like no work anymore.

--
Fred....
[EMAIL PROTECTED]