J Sand wrote:

>Is AUX Apple's version of Unix, and if so, where to find a copy of it?

It's not hard to find but what are you going to do with it?

After not being able to to install it for lack of an external cd drive I
used the partitions for Debian. Very impressed with what it can do and
how easy it was to setup.  Booting into Gnome or running Mozilla is
probably not the best option when running on a 25mhz mac, trust me.. Its
quite good with command line stuff or using a basic X window/Debian
session. So its handy to have a little bit of linux knowledge.

I'm not trying to compare AUX to Debian as I really have no idea whether
anyone, anywhere actually supports AUX and since I've never installed it
I have no idea what its capable of. Linux and BSD are atleast actively
supported for 68k macs and up and are also freely available.

Just out of interest, I have no real use for Debian on the quadra
either, just an interest to see what runs and how well. It might make a
handy hub for my nic-less 68k machines to telenet to or something,
though the scsi-enet adapters kinda get round the need. Other than that,
the joy of booting 6 completely different machines and having them all
play happily together speaking the same language is another plus, again
for no reason other than seeing what can be done.

The MacOS is really the best general purpose OS for a Quadra unless you
have a need that can't be filled, at least that's what I've found so
far. Don't let that stop you from playing. :)

If you have a broadband connection, most free unix-like systems install
completely from the net, even the 68k ones, yeah I'm a newbie but it was
real fun.