I hate to see all of the new subscribers leaving before they can find
out what a great resource this list can be.  I don't remember how long
I've been subscribed, but I have learned a great deal of valuable
information from this list.  I don't post very often anymore but I do
read each digest when it  shows up in my e-mail.  And I guess I feel
the need to add my thoughts on all of this.

1.  I've read the faq's.  While very informative the information
doesn't always make sense to me.  I tend to remember things better if I
can think back and go "Oh yeah, Jeff G. told me I could e-mail using a
Plus if I just did this..."  Or "Yes children, our LC 475's will work
just fine once I find new batteries.  How do I know?  This guy named
the pickle told me." (and of course my students think that is SOOOO
funny.  I have a hard time convincing them it is true!)

2.  The idea of what is OT for the list seems to depend on the weather,
phases of the moon, or who knows what.  I've seen bickering go on for a
number of digests before it is actually ended.  And I've seen a
computer question, even if it not exactly suited to the list, stopped
immediately.  I know that I feel more comfortable asking people I
"know" a question.  This little Mac community is like an extended
family.  I've even talked about some of you guys and what goes on in
these lists with my husband at dinner.  (My poor husband thinks I am
crazy by the way!)  Maybe they don't know where to go to say  "Hey, can
any of you help me with  a Timex/Sinclair computer".  Most of those
types of postings seem to run their course much quicker than the
bickering, and people can always respond to the poster off list.

3.  Those of you that have been using Macs for years need to remember
what it was like the first time you learned to use a computer.  I've
used books, the faqs, these lists, hands on experience, and the
internet to learn what I know about Macs.  I'm the "Mac geek" in our
building.  I've got coworkers that have been "using" computers for
years and they still don't know how to use the keyboard shortcut to
print.  The main difference is that I am really into computers, and
they aren't.  They would like to learn how to use them more
effectively, but they have no idea where to begin and they are still
scared of doing something wrong and breaking them.  (You should have
seen the panic in their eyes when I installed memory in a first
generation iMac!  Or when I spray painted the SE's with my students.)
I tend to go much slower when I show these people how to do something
new, and I always help them set up a "cheat sheet" if they need it.
One coworker came to me yesterday and told me that she had changed her
password ALL BY HERSELF using the cheat sheet that I made her.  She was
so excited.  And many many years ago she was my 5th grade teacher...now
it's my chance to teach her something.

Anyway, those are some of my thoughts.  Now I'll go back to thinking
about the new writing center that I am going to make with my students
this year.  Spray painted LC 475's anyone? ;)

Tracy