>What has happened is a digest subscriber to that list has recently become
>infected with a virus.  The virus, being the devious little thing that it is,
>then does the following:
>
>1) picks out a user name from an address book entry (in this case,
>pci-powermacs, originating from [EMAIL PROTECTED])
>2) picks out a domain from an address book entry (in this case, someone whose
>e-mail is @netnitco.net)
>3) combines those to create an return e-mail address (what you see above)
>4) appends the beginning of an e-mail (probably the one used to harvest the
>user name, based on the fact that I have yet to see this with something
>*other*
>than a PCI-Powermacs digest as its contents) to a new e-mail message
>5) sets the subject of this e-mail message to that of the harvested e-mail
>(in
>the two cases where I got it, a PCI-Powermacs digest)
>6) sends the e-mail to everyone in that person's address book, using the
>faked
>from: address.
>
>Having examined the headers on the e-mail, I know - or have a pretty damn
>good
>idea - of *exactly* who is responsible for this.  I've let the listmom
>know and
>I've told the guy he needs to run a virus scan on his Windoze box.
>--
>
>the pickle

Oh no! It's not me is it? I'm guessing I'm the only person on any of
these lists with a netnitco.net address. If it is, (off topic now) how
would I go about finding the virus? I'm using an SE/30 with system 7.1
and Claris Emailer 1.1.3 to handle the email for these lists (Compact
Macs, Vintage Macs, QuadList, 1st PPC, PCI PPC, G list and LEM Swaplist)
Would such a virus exist?

For what it's worth, I've only got the posting addresses for the vatious
lists and a few family email addresses in my address book. I don't think
I've got any list members' addresses in it at all.

If it's not me, and if I am the only subscriber with a netnitco.net
(netnitco is a small ISP serving NW Indiana; it has about 10 access
numbers), then I'm guessing based on what pickle said above, that whoever
it is has emailed me in the past, probably more just a reply (if I'm in
their address book), and is subscribed to PCI-Powermacs list.

J White

Buy American
S.O.S. Save Our Steel