On Aug 31, 2005, at 11:59 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I know that HFS hard disks, when formatted, adjust their cluster (*) sizes so that there are not more than 2^16 clusters in the partition: so, for instance, a
40Mb partition has 1K clusters, and a 500Mb partition has 8K clusters.

What is the largest size partition, and largest size hard disk, that can be used
in a LC3 or LC475 running Mac OS 7.5.3?

What difference does it make if I upgrade to Mac OS 8.1 and HFS+?

(*) I know that "clusters" is the wrong term for Mac hard disks - the correct term has something to do with a whole lot of "B-trees" - but bear with me.

My Quadra 840 runs System 7.1 and has a 4GB hard drive. I am sure the size of the "clusters" is quite large making it somewhat inefficient for storage storage. It is use mostly to capture audio from my stereo with the resulting files being fairly large so their is not significant wasted space.

bill

--
\/\/i||[EMAIL PROTECTED] ()\/e