It's baby steps in my mind.  I left the ability to use select over poll,
currently, was because poll causes a tiny bit higher load for smaller
working sets.  I didn't go directly to kqueue and epoll because I didn't
want to have to implement freebsd's version.

I'll rework commit messages a bit more this evening or tomorrow.  I might
rework 5 a bit more as well.  I'm not totally happy with it yet though.

donald