sorry to hear about the off  and glad you are ok and no one else got hurt
(I hope!)

I seem to remember Ian on hear getting uh hum rear ended  in is xtreme -
kermit,  he sent it down to devon and it got fixed up  if I remember
rightly...  I would agree depends on if the damage has gone into the
monocoque or just in the rear suspension etc.

As far I as I know Mark is still running Quantum @  http://quantumcars.eu/

you might have to get your car inspected by vosa once you have fixed it...
I remember buying back my robin hood, after I wrapped it's monoquoque into
a lamppost.. It was a cat  something write off, pretty certain financial
only.. I took the bits I wanted and managed to sell the lot on to some
crazy people who were going to try and straighten the monoquoque out use it
on track if not on the road again if they could get it passed. Still ended
up making more money by buying it back.

so in short If the cat is at a level where you can buy it back and you are
happy that you can fix it, I would say buy it back. As long as it get's
signed off if it needs an insepection, I can't see how it is any different
to any other car.  You could always call up a different insurance company
and say you are thinking of buying a car that was a cat x write off that is
back on the road and does it affect the premium?

I know how you feel re the I built it and I don't want to throw it away....
 good luck,  shout if you would like to run anything else passed us.

all the best, Chris