Thank you for all your responses.

I have previously had problems with the 'ignition' relay as some time ago
my wipers and heater fan stopped working. I found that this relay had
melted the plastic in the fusebox around the terminals. I cleaned it up and
all was well. I did make a note to address the issue in a more permanent
manner but then forgot all about it - as you do!

As I lost all electrical items this time I wrongly assumed that the relay
only controlled the wipers and the heater fan and so I was then looking for
something which would affect everything. Oops.

In respect of the relay do they heat up because they are beginning to fail
or do they heat up through general use?

Initially I have decided to adopt the belt and braces approach and go down
the new relay and holder/socket route and I am now waiting for these to
arrive.

First job will be to take out the drivers seat to make more room for the
fuller figure and less bendiness and I can then check the earth on the A
pillar at the same time.

Regards

Phil Holden