On Sunday, 16 October 2016 13:21:21 UTC+11, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:

> On 10/14/2016 06:42 AM, drew....@gmail.com <javascript:> wrote:
> >

> > On Friday, 14 October 2016 00:47:44 UTC+11, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)
> wrote:
> >
> >     On 09/30/2016 02:20 AM, drew....@gmail.com <javascript:> wrote:
> >     >
> >     > Next question...
> >     >
> >     > Will Qubes work without SystemD?
> >     > Will it run if it's built on a system that has no SystemD?
> >
> >     systemd (not SystemD) is integral to the operation of Qubes OS,
> >     especially on dom0 and ServiceVMs.  The way that boot-up events are
> >     ordered relies on the dependency and ordering engine of systemd,
> >     as well
> >     as other features of it.  You are not going to have a good time
> >     removing
> >     the hard dependency on systemd.
> >

> > Well won't it be FUN when THAT changes?
> > Systemd is on it's way out.. It's one of the most hated things...
>
> You mean "it's one of the things *I* hate the most".

Me and millions of others...

> > and I'm going to build Qubes without it.
> >

> Best of luck.

Thanks.

> > That way, it's not like I'm using Windows any more, but actually using
> > Linux again.
> >

> Ah, yes, the good old "we finally got an Apple launchd style init system
> on Linux, it's like we're all using Microsoft Windows now!" non-argument.

Apple is just as bad as Microsoft.

> > Systemd doesn't really do that much differently, other than being a
> > central point that is only a point of vulnerability and failure for
> > the system.
> >

> Which vulnerabilities and failures?  Unpatched CVEs please.  Thanks.

SystemD gets hit, the whole system becomes vulnerable because they aren't
all separate any more.

> > I just want to remove this MAJOR security hole.
>
> Which hole?  Time after time systemd haters have failed to prove this
> contention of theirs.  Allegations and allegations, nothing concrete.

Everything goes back to one point. not good.

> > And I will, because it can be easily done.
>
> I will be happy to see you succeed.   I think you will fail miserably,
> but if you succeed, more power to you.

You can think what you want, but I know I will succeed, because I think
positively, which is why I'm so good.

> > Then I just have to build qubes on it and alter things to not use
> > systemd. Piece of cake.
>
> Looking forward to seeing your GONEME clone of Qubes OS.

It will still be QubesOS, just without SystemD. Won't be a clone at all.
Just a different Dom0 and Guests.