On 12/01/2016 08:02 AM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:

On Thu, Dec 01, 2016 at 10:30:26AM +0200, Ivan wrote:

Addressing the "mentality" problem (that there isn't such thing as free
beer, that donations are *required* to keep the project running, ...) should
be advertised prominently on the web site instead of relying on people
clicking on the "donate" tab. The "donate" tab would then have all the
details covering the issues mentioned above.

Those are my 2c from experience I have donating to projects. Sorry for the
long post :)

Side question: what is the amount of "significant resources" above which one
should contact you directly rather than going through Open Collective ?
I think anything >= $10k. We also have some internal overhead of
handling individual donations manually (mostly related to the number of
such donations, not necessary amount), so it doesn't worth for smaller
amounts - here is why we have OpenCollective to handle this.

[1] https://www.opentech.fund/project/qubes-os

- --

Marek,

I share Ivan's concern about asking for donations. The style should be more forward, with periodic donation drives (say 3X a year) that are prominently featured on the qubes-os.org front page (and a link from the github page, too). Many organizations also use email newsletters as a funding-drive tool, since it can contain requests for donations in the same vehicle that contains interesting information (not every Qubes user will want to keep monitoring the mailing lists).

There should also be a stronger sense conveyed of the object of the donations--The Qubes Project as separate from ITL--so people don't think they are being asked to donate to a for-profit corp.

Chris