On 09/15/2017 11:30 AM, linodeacco...@tuta.io wrote:
Hi,

I'm coding a qubes service (On Qubes 3.2) that will allow some vms to issue a halt command that should shutdown the system as quick as posible (p.e if sys-usb detects an unknown peripheral) but hopefully without corrupting its state.

Currently running just "poweroff" on dom0 takes around 2 minutes to shutdown because of some slow systemd units. I was wondering if there's a safe way to halt the system letting the VMs minimal time to flush caches and such...

Thanks you.

My understanding of the process is that the VMs already shutdown in a virtualization-aware way, but there is still this question of what properly preserving state means. To some people, immediate termination of apps+services would be OK as long as storage is unmounted cleanly. Others would want orderly shutdown of all userspace programs first (and this is what normal shutdown does). Still others would prefer an immediate 'qvm-kill'.

If you find yourself forcing shutdown in some way, I'd suggest placing a priority on dom0 storage integrity perhaps switching away from Ext4 (I use Btrfs myself) and doing periodic snapshots for example.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://twitter.com/ttaskett