On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 05:28:53PM -0700, Jean-Philippe Ouellet wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 5:26 PM, Jean-Philippe Ouellet <j...@vt.edu> wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 1:21 AM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
> > <marma...@invisiblethingslab.com> wrote:
> >> We have just released Qubes 4.0-rc2:
> >>
> >> https://www.qubes-os.org/news/2017/10/23/qubes-40-rc2/
> >
> > Since we are on LVM thin now, should it be possible to just rename old
> > root & vm-* LVs and install rc2 on existing qubes_dom0/pool00, keeping
> > old data available?
> >
> > Asking because a full backup / restore is not possible for me right
> > now, but I do have plenty of free space.
> >
> > My main concern is some implicit assumption in the installer which may
> > blow away my data regardless. I'm not sure I wanna be the guinea pig
> > on this one ;)
> >
> > Regards,
> > Jean-Philippe
>
> Alternatively, I suppose I could try to upgrade packages in place and
> migrate templates manually... anybody tried that yet?

I've tried. It's cumbersome. In addition to normal package update, you
need to uninstall all templates and install new ones (in-place
reinstall is broken), one by one, switching all its usage to some other
for the process.
In addition to that:

1. Switch sys-net and sys-usb to HVM:

    qvm-prefs sys-net virt_mode hvm
    qvm-prefs sys-usb virt_mode hvm

2. Create default DispVM (including menu entries):

    sudo qubesctl state.sls qvm.default-dvm

3. (optional) install Whonix

    sudo qubesctl state.sls qvm.anon-whonix

And I still cannot guarantee that's all. But you can try ;)

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab