On Thu, January 11, 2018 2:57 pm, Andrew David Wong wrote:

Some random questions:

> The Xen Security Team did _not_
> previously share information about these problems via their (non-public)
> security pre-disclosure list, of which the Qubes Security Team is a
> member.

What good is a pre-disclosure list if vulnerabilities aren't
pre-disclosed? Is this how the industry is going to operate from now on?

> Meltdown, the most reliable attack of the three discussed, cannot be
> exploited _from_ a fully-virtualized (i.e. HVM or PVH) VM.

> ## Virtualization makes at least one variant of Spectre seem difficult
>
> Of the two Spectre variants, it _seems_ that at least one of them might
> be significantly harder to exploit under Xen than under monolithic systems
> because there are significantly fewer options for the attacker to interact
> with the hypervisor.

It's good to see Qubes' design choices validated like this.

> This is because any pages from shutdown VMs will
> typically very quickly get allocated to other, running VMs and get wiped
> as part of this procedure.

Aren't the pages scrubbed in balloon.c on a decrease_reservation, i.e.
when they are freed versus allocated?

> There are two important points regarding the Qubes 3.2 update. First,
> this update will work only when the hardware supports VT-x or equivalent
> technology. Qubes 3.2 will continue to work on systems without VT-x, but
> there will be no mitigation against Meltdown on such systems. Users on
> systems that do not support VT-x are advised to take this into
> consideration when assessing the trustworthiness of their systems.
>
> Second, the Qubes 3.2 update will also switch any VMs that use a custom
> kernel to PVH mode

Does PVH (v2/lite) also require SLAT? I'm thinking here of first
generation Intel virtualization that supports VT-x but not SLAT.

> Xen hypervisor, undermines this clean architecture by
> internally mapping all physical memory pages into its address space. Of
> course, under normal circumstances, this isn't a security problem, because
> no one is able to read the hypervisor memory. However, the bugs we're
> discussing today might allow an attacker to do just that.

I think I understand how full virtualization blocks Meltdown from doing
this, but why doesn't it also apply to Spectre? I know it's a hardware
level exploit, but virtualization instructions are hardware level too. Is
it considered a security check and therefore ignored during speculation?

> Qubes 4.0-rc4, which we plan to release next week

Looking forward to it. Please ignore my questions until a build is running
or something, or if anyone else has answers that would be good too.