On 02/08/18 17:31, Yuraeitha wrote:
@Ivan

On Thursday, February 8, 2018 at 1:22:06 PM UTC+1, Ivan Mitev wrote:
- I think it's great if you post your guide for others to see :) You
can always leave a disclaimer, such as no code has not been audited in
this particular case, however that it worked for a few of users who
tried it (it worked for me on my first try, more to come though). If
people have all available information, including the disclaimer, then
they can make calls for themselves, so that responsibility is not put
on you if something should go wrong.

Well, strictly speaking there's no "guide" yet :) - only bits and parts
in notes, ML posts or from the official qubes documentation. Marek's
last post also provided a lot of informative stuff.

Ideally there should be a wiki page with those tests and pieces of info,
with more relaxed "commit" rights than the official Qubes docs so that
users can freely change/fix the instructions until things settle down -
at which point they could maybe be included in the official documentation.

I see there's a handful of free wiki sites on the web, I'll try to setup
a page on one of those. But as usual, not ETA - I have very little free
time ; if you'd like you can go ahead and publish what you already
have/found out and I'll definitely help with the content and tests.

so, I found some time and created this:

https://github.com/taradiddles/qubes-notes/wiki/Windows-VM

It's a bit of a hodgepodge from various ML posts and my own notes. The
edit policy is open to everyone, so anyone - feel free to add your own
stuff.

(I hope it's not a problem to create such an unofficial wiki; If it is
I'll delete it and I'll try to make the doc a bit more pretty and send a
PR for inclusion in the official doc; alternatively, such a wiki could
be created in the qubes-doc repository).

Ivan

It's looking really good, it looks like you got every currently confirmed
Windows issues on there in a well-written and easy to read page. This will
definitely be helpful to point to for those switching from Q3.2. to Q4.0. and
are asking about Windows support.

FYI I've just added a "Fresh install on R4" section. It's still a work in progress though: I get a cryptic msg in guest-win7-dm.log file a bit after the first part of the setup reboots the VM.

qemu: /home/user/qubes-src/vmm-xen-stubdom-linux/build/qemu/exec.c:1187: cpu_physical_memory_snapshot_get_dirty: Assertion `start + length <= snap->end' failed.

Seems to be qubes related... I'll try to continue this over the week-end and I'll open an issue if Marek doesn't have a quick workaround until then :)

I like your idea about an official Wiki page too for Qubes, in the fashion you
described it. I imagine an easy to find link to such a Qubes wiki on the
www.qubes-os.org website might be really good, so that more people may discover
it and use it. And considering it's available on github, which seems like a big
plus as well. It'd be interesting to know what the Qubes developers/staff feel
about your wiki suggestion. Also the current doc section on the official
website is becoming a bit over-cluttered as its growing over time. A wiki
indeed seems like it might make good sense at this point, especially if more
doc's are to appear on-wards.

IMHO a public wiki - official or not - should not replace the current documentation: someone may add unsecure instructions (willingly or not) and there will always be users who blindingly copy/paste instructions.

My idea behind a public wiki was to have a "staging" area that would lower the bar for writing official documentation (eg. understanding pull requests isn't needed), as well as easing "community" testing/debugging (like providing workarounds or step-by-step instructions like now with Windows HVMs). If after some time the instructions are deemed good enough, then they could be pulled into the official docs and removed from the wiki.