On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 09:48:33PM +0200, Frédéric Pierret (fepitre) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would prefer option 3 to avoid any 'RedHat' related naming.
>
> I would also vote for option 4, if we consider in a 'near' future to
> handle other RPM related distro like OpenSuse(yast) or Mageia(urpmi). Of
> course some work will be necessary in "builder-fedora" but it is feasible.

It isn't clear to me how much distros using rpm but other package
managers would benefit from builder-fedora plugin. .spec.in processing
script probably will be the common part, but for example
prepare-chroot-* scripts might be totally different.
On the other hand, it will be probably easy to add yet another script
there. In the worst case, where 'generate-spec' would be the only common
part, we can probably attach builder-rpm as a submodule to
builder-other-rpm-distro and still avoid duplicating this part. But I
hope we will not need to use this method.

Anyway, I'm more and more convinced that qubes-builder-rpm is a better
choice.

> So it is up to the global opinion :)
>
> Best,
> Frédéric
>
> Le 12/04/2018 à 20:09, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki a écrit :
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Recently Frédéric Pierret implemented proper src.rpm building support,
> > required for reproducible builds, Fedora 27 and more (thanks!).
> > The main code lives in qubes-builder-fedora repository. But we also have
> > qubes-builder-centos (incidentally, also initially implemented by
> > Frédéric!), which does something very similar - builds rpm packages and
> > then compose template from them. We've come to conclusion it would make
> > sense to merge those repositories to reduce code duplication (otherwise
> > it would be needed to copy all src.rpm handling code into
> > qubes-builder-centos too). But then, the name qubes-builder-fedora is
> > less accurate, because it handle both Fedora and CentOS now...
> >
> > Now we have multiple options:
> >
> > 1. Do nothing - leave qubes-builder-fedora name for building both Fedora
> > and CentOS. This option definitely is the easiest one (renaming
> > repository means all qubes-builder users needs to update builder.conf).
> >
> > 2. Rename to qubes-builder-redhat - as both Fedora and CentOS are
> > (almost) directly developed by RedHat.
> >
> > 3. Rename to qubes-builder-yum - as both distributions use yum (or its
> > newer version dnf).
> >
> > 4. Rename to qubes-builder-rpm - right now this is the only builder
> > plugin targeting rpm packages. But is is unclear to me how similar would
> > be handling other rpm-based distributions (if any), not directly related
> > to Fedora or CentOS (OpenSUSE for example).
> >

> > My favorite option right now is number 2. Any other opinions?
> >
> > Relevant pull request is here:
> > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-builder-fedora/pull/23

- --
Best Regards,