On Sat, Oct 06, 2018 at 04:41:25PM +0100, Aaron Gray wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Oct 2018 at 16:02, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki <
> marma...@invisiblethingslab.com> wrote:

> > > @qubenix - I think patch is for the Xen package proper not qubes-vmm-xen.
> >
> > Xen packages are build in qubes-vmm-xen.
> >
> > > Marek - I am trying to work out how to add in the later xen-4.9.2 RPM
> > from
> > > another repo and am nearing GNU Makefile insanity with your build
> > system. I
> > > don't really like Gnu Make.
> > >
> > > Can I just use :-
> > >
> > >     /tmp/qubes-packages-minor-repo
> > >
> > > And put the repo in there as would be suggested by :-
> > >

> > https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-builder-rpm/blob/master/repos/builder-local.repo
> >
> > That won't work for multiple reasons. First of all, Qubes do have some
> > extra patches over upstream Xen, without them you probably won't be able
> > to boot any VM. But then, if you update Xen from 4.8.x to 4.9.x, you
> > need to rebuild other packages to link with new version.
> >

> Marek,
>
> Timewise how long am I looking at to wait for 4.1 alpha to be released with
> the xen patche(s) or xen updated to 4.9 ?

There is ongoing work to have Xen 4.11 for Qubes 4.0. But I wouldn't
expect installable alpha builds before December, or even January.

> In parallel can I rely on you for some level of support if I try and do the
> 4.9 update to 4.0 myself ?

For 4.0, much easier (in terms of time) would be to backport that single
patch and see if that works. It's here, totally untested (not even build
tested):
https://github.com/marmarek/qubes-vmm-xen/tree/xen-4.8-amd-iommu

You can try building this, by adding to your builder.conf:

    GIT_URL_vmm_xen = https://github.com/marmarek/qubes-vmm-xen
    BRANCH_vmm_xen = xen-4.8-amd-iommu

Then:

    make get-sources
    make vmm-xen # or `make qubes` if you didn't build other components before
    make iso

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki