Thanks for your continued help; I'm afraid I'm running into a real block here
when it comes to making sense of this strace.

https://pastebin.com/a8WD93Na

root [ ~ ]# ls -lah /dev/xen/privcmd
crw-rw---- 1 root qubes 10, 58 Oct 24  2018 /dev/xen/privcmd

The line "read(4," is really where the trace ends--stays there indefinitely. No
change to this behavior even if qubes-qrexec-agent.service is stopped/running.

I've also then rebuilt qubes-vmm-xen, qubes-linux-utils, and
qubes-core-agent-linux for good measure, with the same strace results.