On Wednesday, November 7, 2018 at 10:48:34 PM UTC+1, Achim Patzner wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 07.11.2018, 13:17 -0800 schrieb John Mitchell:
> > > TL;DR: Yes, but from a security point of view it's not a good idea.
> >
> > I sense the qubes team isn't really interested and I would be better off
> > using Debian for my primary OS.
>
> > I've had this vision since the 90's of booting a qubes like OS and then
> > running various OSes in VMs however this is all useless
> > without GPU passthrough.
>
> Well, Qubes is not exactly a clone of SteamOS and definitely not a
> replacement for IBM's LPAR.
>
> > Security is great but not when it gets in the way of being useful.
>
> From my point of view that's plain wrong. It was already wrong when a
> sweating Balmer was shouting at us in Redmont: "Is it security the
> customer wants? No! He doesn't! He wants easy of use!". Spitting at the
> people in the first row...
>
> To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin: "They that can give up essential
> security to obtain a little playing computer games deserve neither
> security nor computer games."
>
> > I need useful or I have to buy two separate computers systems. I believe
> > the risks are acceptable using PCI passthrough.
>
> You are welcome to use a systm that fits your needs
>
> > Those that need more security don't have to use PCI passthrough.
>
> And this is exactly the place where such creatures dwell. The first few
> sentences on the Qubes home page might have tld you so.
>
> > One less qubes user saying how great it is.
>
> Wow. Aren't we a bit passive-aggressive here?
>

> Achim

My last reply.  Since I will not feed the anger.

Rather than attack the messenger maybe you should stop and consider what I
wrote.  I am not a fan of Stevie B. or M$.  And you were not helpful in my
opinion.

If you really want security then you should power down the system and bury it
where only you can find it and then maybe it would be secure but I doubt it.

;)

Cheers!

John