On 11/21/2018 09:03 AM, Sven Semmler wrote:
I have also a recurring problem with connecting USB disks that are
  firstly auto-recognized by dom0, but then impossible to attach to
a running Qube without restarting that Qube.

You might want to create a USB qube, which will have several advantages
for you:

1) increased security (dom0 never sees your USB device and whatever you
    connect is isolated in the USB qube)

2) assigning USB devices to other qubes still works

3) you could use the USB qube itself exactly as you would your
    standalone Manjaro machine (the USB controller is attached to that
    qube)

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/usb/

I would start with that doc, but also also try working without the USB hub.. plug the devices in directly. In my experience Qubes doesn't like USB hubs (I thought maybe this was intentional on Qubes' part for security purposes).

Complicating challenge: More VMs, more RAM, less and less OK to
restart "anything"...

What is your spec? I used Qubes for many months with 8 GB which was
usable but sometimes showed limitations. Now with 32 GB I have not seen
any issues (frequently running 12+ qubes in parallel)

I find usability goes up dramatically by putting manual limits on VM memory. My rule of thumb is 350MB for service VMs like sys-net, sys-firewall, 700-1200MB for light apps, and 1500-2000MB for browsing and heavy apps. Finally, you can limit dom0's memory greatly and not really affect its performance. I put mine at 1500MB (this is a Xen parameter, see /etc/default/grub and /boot/grub2/grub.cfg).

There is simply too much time lost when having to restart, even
just one Qube, let alone the whole physical machine.

Restarting a qube should be very fast ... I start to think you are
maybe experiencing hardware issues. Maybe your computer is not well
suited to run Qubes, maybe your USB controller has issues?

FWIW, Debian startup time for me is about 12sec. after I made optimizations. It will be some years before VM startup becomes really fast, so for now its part of the trade-off for greater security.

With that in mind, I would like to know if there is interest in
discussing the "next-generation-file-management" in Qubes context.

How can Qubes help push the world forward when it comes to
smart(er) file handling (with security)?

A framework with integrated automation tools comes to mind. (Think
  "low-level AI tools", with emphasis on automation <-> GUI, not "
artificial intelligence".)

Storage is a very relevant topic for Qubes, but I'm not sure about the vision you're expressing here.

FYI in the future Qubes is supposed to get a new type of VM/qube for handling storage. This is intended to protect the OS from compromised HD/SSD firmware, for example.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket