each
 AppVM

On Wed, Jul 05, 2017 at 05:59:42PM +0200, Noor Christensen wrote:
On Wed, Jul 05, 2017 at 05:16:59PM +0200, Noor Christensen wrote:
On Wed, Jul 05, 2017 at 05:56:36AM -0700, Albert Mokrejs wrote:
> Also,
>
> > This list can then be piped to dmenu or rofi or whatever,
> > *running in dom0 or any other VM. *
>
> Have you somehow gotten dmenu/rofi working within a non-dom0 VM? That was
> my first attempt before I wrote the qvm-run based script, and I found that
> Qubes would not let dmenu bind the keyboard, thus leaving dmenu stuck open
> and unresponsive. If you got it working, I'm somewhat curious as to how.

Sadly I have the same experience as you.

However, if I have another window open from a program already running on
the target VM it seems to hand over the keyboard to dmenu upon receiving
focus.

I haven't verified if this is a side effect of i3wm, qvm-run, qrexec or
possibly all of them combined. Have you made any tests in other WMs like
XFCE? I know that i3wm has some configurable logic for deciding if/when
window clients should be granted focus...

Also, I would like to add that I fail to see any reason to run dmenu on
another VM than dom0 if the use case is to in turn launch another
program.

Since we are just dealing with file lists, not arbitrary shell code, I
would argue against that running dmenu in dom0 with the output from qvm-run
passed to STDIN is any less secure than running dmenu inside the VM.

In either case the obvious risk is modification of the source list of
binaries passed to the dmenu process, wherever it runs.

But maybe I am missing the point?

-- noor

|_|O|_|
|_|_|O|  Noor Christensen

What is the progress regarding this? Do you guys make any of this
available in the Qubes R4 repo yet? I found none of the dmenu-like
script specially made for Qubes available in the official repo nor it mentioned via Qubes documentation.

--
Do you have lysdexia?