On 12/10/18 10:05 PM, daltong defourne wrote:
Hello!

I'm trying to exclude a service that is started by XDG-autostart from starting
up only on SOME app-VMs based on same template-VM (so deleting the .desktop
file from appvm completely is not an option)

After reading some comments on github from long ago (like this one here
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/137#issuecomment-77752422 ) I
have concluded that I theoretically should be able to use NotShowIn in the
desktop file.

However, putting a

NotShowIn=personal;work

into

/etc/xdg/autostart/pulseaudio.desktop

did not help me to prevent pulse startup in VM named personal and vm named work

What am I doing wrong?

You can only specify a VM type (AppVM, NetVM, ...), not a VM name.

Is doing what I want even possible?

In theory yes (haven't tested it): you'll have to put a .desktop in $HOME/.config/autostart/ with 'Hidden=true' in each of the *AppVM* you want the .desktop app to be disabled.

P.S.
Still Qubes 3.2 because I am windows-VM dependent

FWIW I'm using R4 both with R3.2 imported win VMs as well as ones created in R4 and I don't have any problems (but then I use QWT from R3.2 - didn't manage to have the newer QWT work; see issue #3585).

PS: please send such posts to qubes-users@