On Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 9:22:50 AM UTC-4, bradbury9 wrote:

> Looks like a new evil maid attack [1][2] that takes advantage of the
> thunderbolt port is on the wild.
>
> I do recall Qubes OS had anti evil maid features. I wonder, are Qubes OS
> protected against this new attack?
>
> [1]: https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2020/05/attack_against_2.html
> [2]: https://www.wired.com/story/thunderspy-thunderbolt-evil-maid-hacking/

In the vernacular, I'm talking out of my behind here, armchair
philosophizing, etc...but, well, I find the topic interesting... :)

My gut says that this is a in a class of known vulnerability channels. That
is, those of unsigned and/or unchecked firmware on the motherboard. Both in
the general case and specifically for Qubes.

So, as always: there's the general caveat that if your system's firmware
(including both "bios/uefi" and the firmware for integrated peripherals)
have been compromised, and you have certain very specific threat models,
you're hosed. AEM/Safeboot can only mitigate some of that: if a particular
component's firmware isn't measured, then that's an open door.

That being said, within Qubes I believe this particular attack is somewhat
mitigated by the combination of IOMMU, and the Qubes-specific disabling of
"hotplug" for pcie devices, including thunderbolt.

IOMMU/hotplug restrictions prevent newly arrived PCIe devices from
accessing, via DMA, the memory spaces of dom0/domU. If you're running newer
dom0 kernels there are additional backstops as well in-kernel (but I am not
familiar with them), though they may be the belt to the suspenders under
Qubes.

So...I don't imagine the tried-and-true "screen unlock hack via DMA to
bypass code path or variable setting" will work, but...outside the scope of
this hack, there may already be other ways to do things like extract
encryption keys from a live system if seized live (e.g. freeze memory
dimm/move quickly to another powered custom device/dump RAM/analyze under
the multiple psuedo-random patterns to make a flat physical RAM space).

So, for certain very-specific threat models you will want to institute very
strict set behavioral controls, those being: a) never leave your device
unsupervised and if you do, consider it compromised and b) never leave your
device powered on (disk unlocked) where it may be seized by your adversary,
even if the screen is locked.

As always data found must be exfiltrated. So, are there circumstances this
technique might possible be used in a chained attack in some way?
Maybe...but I strongly doubt that it's an instant win on Qubes.

Brendan