On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 05:19:04PM +0000, WillyPillow wrote:
> Hi!

Hi!

> Firstly, thanks for accepting my proposal!  (I meant to do a heads-up sooner,
> but honestly I was distracted by some school stuff. My apologies.)
>
> Some things I have done/am doing currently:
>
> - Set up Qubes on my laptop.
> - Went through some issues with tags "help wanted" and "P: minor" and made
> some
>   comments.
> - Tried to fix a nouveau-related bug (currently to no avail, unfortunately).
>   (Not directly related to Qubes, but this is relevant to my use case and
> AFAIK
>   the proprietary drivers do not really work on Qubes.)

I'd recommend trying newer kernel, if you haven't already:
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/newer-hardware-troubleshooting/

> - Submitted a PR to qubes-doc.
> - Playing with qubes-builder.
> - Skimming docs of PyGObject/GTK.
>
> In the following days (possibly extending into the coding phase), I am
> planning
> to experiment with the Admin API and hopefully make a script for creating
> (e.g.) a Trojan [^1] firewall VM. [^2]
>
> Also, regarding the timeline outlined in the proposal [^3], I should be able
> draft up an initial interface & design ASAP after the coding period starts and
> post it here for further discussion. (Other suggestions for my goals for the
> first few weeks are also appreciated!)

Yes, this sounds like a good plan.
I would recommend leaving GUI for later time in the project as it may be
time-consuming and prevent you from finishing the actual mechanism in
time (working CLI would already be useful, but GUI that doesn't do
anything - not really).

> As a side note, since I am currently running R4.0 and may need to switch to
> R4.1 for development later, I was wondering if it is possible to upgrade
> in-place by, say, installing the built packages in dom0.

Generally yes, but the process involve several steps...
We have script for that in testing:
https://github.com/fepitre/qubes-migration
But since quite bit change (dom0 update fc31->fc32) just landed in
repos, I'd wait a week or two for things to stabilize. And in any case,
do a backup before such upgrade.

> Thanks,
>
> William Huang
>
> [^1]: <https://github.com/trojan-gfw/trojan>
>
> [^2]: <https://hackmd.io/@VVl_aGJQRpOYqPE9btxxBA/Hy31fYxvL>
>
> [^3]: Perhaps this, by itself, is better suited for a Salt config? That being
> said, my understanding is that the Admin API may be used to a larger extent in
> this project, so I opted to go for that instead.

Yes, configuring things within a VM is rather a task for salt. But you
can totally create VMs and set their properties via Admin API. In fact,
all qvm-* tools use Admin API to do their things. It's just not that
visible when running in dom0, because policy is bypassed in this case.

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab