I was asked by deeplow to forward/summarize info from the "Alt RPM Distro
(CentOS?) in dom0" forum thread [alt-thread] to make it more visible to
devs.

CentOS Stream is an attractive candidate for use in dom0 due to its
stability, LTS cycle, compatibility with Fedora, and signing of both
packages and metadata.  The main concerns raised about CentOS were outdated
kernels, the limited set of available userland packages, the stability of
CentOS Stream, and the desire for a "minimal" distro.  Recent developments
largely address these concerns:

* RHEL has moved to a 3-year cycle for major releases and there is a
Hyperscaler SIG [hyper-sig] working on accelerated backports; including LTS
kernel releases and core userland software such as systemd.  This is inline
with Qubes' ~2±1 year release cadence.

* CentOS Stream is part of Red Hat's infrastructure modernization effort to
create a continuous integration pipeline from Fedora to CentOS and its
derivatives.  This effort *should* reduce the friction for getting packages
available in Fedora to EPEL.

* CentOS Stream is intended to be as stable as RHEL proper.  Source and
community rebuilds are available for the skiddish, however, Red Hat has
expanded its free license tier to 16 production instances.  Qubes also
probably qualifies for Red Hat's FOSS infrastructure program.

* Fedora Silverblue, Fedora CoreOS, Fedora Minimal, and Red Hat's Universal
Base Image are all freely available and competitive with other "minimal"
distros in terms of TCB and feature set.  Rocky Linux confirmed over Matrix
that RHCOS rebuilds are in the works.

While it will take time for this work to yield results, I was able to find
many of the packages from fepitre’s copr repo in EPEL and AppStreams and
the AltArch SIG apparently already carries a backported kernel.  I think
it's worth exploring collaboration through the CentOS Special Interest
Groups [sigs] and/or a custom [Fedora]/[CentOS]/[Silverblue] distro to
expand the package availability and upstream maintenance.

Sane people disagree, see [alt-thread] for caveats and spirited debate.  I
hope this was helpful.

-Zach Lym

[alt-thread]:
https://qubes-os.discourse.group/t/alt-rpm-distro-centos-in-dom0/2016/19