On 2016-05-28 19:02, 01101 wrote:
> Sorry it is somewhat difficult to explain. According to the
> hardware compatibility list, someone with the thinkpad x1 carbon
> (different gen than mine, I have latest) explains a similar issue:
>

>> HDPI screen. Everything is tiny, to the point of being difficult
>> to see. I can't see any simple way to configure this in either
>> desktop environment, short of reducing the resolution.

Ok, that's being tracked here:

> although when I try to change resolution, or if the computer falls
> asleep, the black screen appears underneath wherever the curser is
> located, by this I mean, everything under the curser becomes
> black, (the full width of the screen down)

Take a look at the comments on this issue:

It sounds like you might be experiencing something similar, so I would
try some of the tips mentioned there. For example, try KDE fail safe
session, try disabling desktop effects in KDE, try a different kernel,
etc.

> I tried to run the command to install XFCE, I get "Group XFCE does
> not exist" (btw I always still get the yum deprecated / replaced
> with dnf message as well)

I haven't tried XFCE with Qubes in a long time, but last I checked, it
was installed by default. If so, you should just be able to log in
with that DE.

Updating the (very old) XFCE documentation is on our to-do list:

In the meantime, I'd suggest searching for information on how to
install XFCE in baremetal Fedora 20, since the process should be
similar.

> On Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 6:41:45 PM UTC-7, Andrew David Wong
> wrote:

> Can you clarify "tiny"? Is that just a HiDPI issue [1]? Have you
> tried playing around with the DPI/display settings in KDE/Xfce?
>
> Can you clarify the "weird black screen issue"? Does that mean
> your monitor blanks out? Or is it "screen" as in "screen door"
> (i.e., black lines superimposed on your screen)?
>

> [1] https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1951

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS