On 06/02/2016 06:40 PM, gaikokujinkyofu...@gmail.com wrote:
Hi I wanted to create a win7 HVM and was going to start off by making an iso
from the CD I have but then I tried the simple dd if=/dev/cdrom
of=~/win7_image.iso and I get an error:
dd: failed to open '/dev/cdrom': No such file or directory

I tried this from the term in the personal dom, but then opened up the term
from the various doms (including dom0) to see if maybe the cdrom would show up
then? (I am still wrapping my head around how Qubes works in terms of
isolation, like would it perhaps isolate certain doms from seeing certain
devices?)

Thoughts?

Try /dev/sr0 instead (in dom0). You can also try assigning it to a vm with 'qvm-block -a -ro vmname dom0:sr0'

...but you have to put the disc in first and it doesn't always work.

Chris