On Thu, Jun 09, 2016 at 06:20:51AM -0700, Marcus at WetwareLabs wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> What would be the steps for installing and trying out different Xen
> versions in Qubes 3.1? Or even switching to KVM? Shouldn't HAL make this
> possible on Qubes 3.0+ ?

As for KVM - it isn't that simple - requires writing few components -
namely vchan library and a little modification to gui-daemon (currently
uses Xen-specific feature to map memory pages from VM).

> I'm mainly interested in testing Xen 4.3 branch,

Take a look at my github account, there is xen-4.4 branch, it should be
quite simple to get xen 4.3 from there. When you build such package in
Qubes 3.1 environment it should just work, at least in theory. But see
below.

> since there's anecdotal
> evidence that something might have broken with GPU passthrough between Xen
> versions 4.4 and 4.3 and I have not seen any success stories of passthrough
> after 4.3.
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/xen/users/349649
> https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=36101.0
> https://www.linuxserver.io/index.php/2013/09/12/xen-4-3-windows-8-with-vga-passthrough-on-arch-linux/
> Only exception is here:
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/qubes-users/cmPRMOkxkdA
> with Qubes 3.0RC2 but he seems to be using AMD GPU & CPU whereas I'm with
> Intel and Nvidia.
>
> Personally I've been trying to get the GPU passthrough (as secondary GPU)
> working for the past two weeks now, without luck. It's always the same
> result: Windows BSODs during the first boot after driver installation. I've
> tried Windows  7 Pro SP1 and Windows 8.1 and both act the same way. I know
> it's not a hardware problem, since GPU passthrough using *KVM on Arch Linux*
> *works
> without hiccup*. Also the same BSOD happens with Xen on Arch Linux, so I
> also know that *it's not restricted to just Qubes. *Also it's not about the
> well-known problem of "BSOD after 2nd boot", since with KVM I could boot
> DomU many times flawlessly without any requirement to boot Dom0 (to reset
> the GPU as well).

Do you see PCI device in the VM at all? There is a problem with this in
Qubes 3.0+ :

And as you can see, there is some progress recently, but it isn't solved
yet.

> I've tried out these OS's with stock Xen versions:
> Arch Linux, Xen 4.6.1: BSOD on DomU boot
> Qubes 3.1, Xen 4.6.0: BSOD on DomU boot
> Qubes 3.0 RC 2, Xen 4.4.2: BSOD on DomU boot
> Qubes 2.0, Xen 4.1.6:  Sadly BSOD on DomU boot here as well..

Ok, this is some hint that solving #1659 would not be enough...

> My current HW is:
> Intel I7-5820K
> Asrock X99 WS
> EVGA GTX 980 (passthrough GPU)
> Asus Radeon R5 230 (dom0 GPU)
>
> I've tried also Radeon as passthrough GPU on Xen 4.6.0 with many driver
> versions (win 7 pro), but with same results.
>
> I would be very interested hearing what kind of results others have
> achieved!

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki