So it appears that pactl or pacmd isn't in qubes Dom0 repository. Any
suggestions on how I can control Pulse Audio through the command line?
Apparently it can be done with amixer:

amixer -D pulse sset Master mute

However, the device pulse doesn't exist. amixer without arguments displays
all the devices - no pulse device.

amixer sset Master mute

Works - but that, i think, is setting it through Alsa - and once Alsa is
muted Pulse Audio remains muted until explicitly unmuted.. which has to be
done through pavucontrol.

I'm lost. I've never liked sound on Linux.. it makes my brain hurt.