Thank you *so* much for taking the time to write everything down in such
detail.  There is a lot for me to go through (I should probably read the
Broadcom stuff that you ignored!), and I am going to try and find time this
weekend to have a bash at it.

I'm really excited at the prospect of being able to see what's going on when
running Qubes (I'm currently running it on a desktop machine + 4K screen I
bought just for Qubes use, but the fonts in Menus / Terminal are so tiny it
gives me a headache - and trying to adapt to Linux / Xen / Qubes after OS X is
already enough of a challenge without that!)

Anyway, very grateful to you for your time, and for sharing your experience - I
will attempt to replicate (more or less!) exactly!  :-)

QC